Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reflections so far

You get a real sense of the vigilance around border control when you enter the USA. When we flew into San Francisco on the 2nd July – the intercom was announcing every few minutes that Homeland Security has an ‘amber’ alert staus and not to leave bags unattended. When we were processed through immigration we were digitally fingerprinted with a scanner pad & photographed. Also a lot of questions were asked about how long we were staying, who with, purpose of visit etc. The young woman who processed us through was very officious and business-like to start with, but once the formalities were out of the way she was very interested in our motorcycle tour – although she could not get her head around how we could be away from work for so long (most Americans only get around 2 weeks vacation each year).

When we arrived in Boston I opened my case to find a note from Customs to state that my bag had been searched. It might have something to do with the battery screwdriver (that looks like a small pistol) and the zip lock bag with all our laptop, camera, GPS, phone charger cables – that when viewed with XRay would probably would all look like the fixings for something more sinister!

In one way I was pleased not to have my Harley in Massachusetts as the drivers there have a ‘bad rep’ for their general driving habits. Speed, wearing seatbelts, using indicators, slowing down for amber lights, stopping for red lights – are all considered purely optional by many drivers – you need to have your wits about you. Also the road conditions seemed quite rough and in need of repair. Probably due to a combination of lack of investment, harsh winters and the salt they pour on the roads when it snows.
It has also been strange to feel what it is like to be a foreigner – many Americans could not understand me. Those of Hispanic descent especially had problems, with English being a second language, trying to understand a Kiwi was a double challenge!

I am amazed by the variety in the stores. Where we in NZ have maybe half a dozen varieties of Coca Cola, the US seem to have about twenty! You also need to be aware of the difference in the quoted price and what you actually pay, as most states apply a ‘sales tax’ on purchases (although New Hampshire was one State that did not).

I went shopping at the local Supermarket with my friend Neil and the variety and choice of items nearly did my head in! I also realized that after a while we were the only 2 men shopping together in the supermarket with a trolley and then felt quite awkward about how this was probably being perceived!

There are literally ‘Dunkin Donut’ outlets in nearly every block wherever you go.
Ice Cream in the USA is awesome (especially in the Boston heat wave!).There were tremendous combinations of flavours (e.g. caramel & walnut, peanut butter & chocolate).

The one place where I felt I was in control was shopping at the Harley Davidson Dealership at Everett in Boston (great store). I was looking at the helmet rack with Neil & Tracee when the young store assistant came up and asked if I needed any help. I replied no – as I knew what I was looking for. She turned and walked away and then looked back over her shoulder and with a small smirk said.. “That’s a woman’s helmet you’re holding.”

No comments:

Post a Comment